Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is a maternal health scheme launched by the Government of India in April 2005. The objective of the scheme is to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality by promoting institutional deliveries among pregnant women. Under this scheme, cash assistance is provided to women who give birth in government health institutions or accredited private health institutions.
The scheme is applicable to pregnant women below the poverty line, and it provides financial assistance to cover the cost of delivery and other associated expenses such as transportation, medicines, and food. The amount of cash assistance varies from state to state and ranges from Rs. 500 to Rs. 2000.
The scheme also provides incentives to accredited social health activists (ASHAs) and auxiliary nurse midwives (ANMs) for facilitating institutional deliveries and providing antenatal and postnatal care to pregnant women. The JSY is implemented through the National Health Mission (NHM) and is funded by the central and state governments.
The Janani Suraksha Yojana has been successful in increasing the proportion of institutional deliveries and reducing maternal and neonatal mortality rates in India. However, there are still challenges in the implementation of the scheme, such as inadequate infrastructure, shortage of health personnel, and low awareness among the targeted population.
Table of Contents
Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
Janani Suraksha Yojana was launched by PM Narendra Modi. The scheme is all about benefitting pregnant women with financial aid. Using this scheme, the government aims to improving the poor conditions of pregnant women and their babies. The advantage of this scheme can be availed only by women living below the poverty line.
The mode of application of this scheme is online which means that women can apply by visiting the official website. As per Janani Suraksha Yojana, two categories have been made to include all pregnant women. The financial assistance will be provided to them on the basis of these categories made. Take a look at these categories below:
Pregnant women of urban areas: The financial aid of Rs 1,000 will be provided to all pregnant women at the time of their delivery. In addition to the above, the ASHA associate up to Rs 200 will also be provided as a for providing post delivery service.
Pregnant women of rural areas: All pregnant women living in rural areas will be given financial benefit under the Janani Suraksha Yojana. They will be provided a financial aid of Rs 1,400 by the government. In addition to the above, the ASHA associate of Rs 300 will also be provided.
Objective of Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
The primary objective of the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality by promoting institutional deliveries among pregnant women. The scheme aims to encourage women to give birth in government health institutions or accredited private health institutions, where they can receive quality antenatal and postnatal care and skilled attendance during delivery.
JSY provides financial assistance to pregnant women below the poverty line to cover the cost of delivery and other associated expenses such as transportation, medicines, and food. The scheme also provides incentives to accredited social health activists (ASHAs) and auxiliary nurse midwives (ANMs) for facilitating institutional deliveries and providing antenatal and postnatal care to pregnant women.
By promoting institutional deliveries and improving access to quality maternal and neonatal health services, the JSY aims to improve maternal and child health outcomes and contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) related to maternal and child health.
List of low performing and high performing states
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- A state in Eastern India
- Uttar Pradesh
The list of Indian states shows a low Institutional Delivery Rate and therefore fall under the category of Low Performing States. In addition to the above, there are some other states that fall under the category of high-performing states.
Cash assistance under Janani Suraksha Yojana JSY
- An amount of Rs 600 will be distributed to women and another Rs 200 to ASHA for high-performing status
- An amount of Rs 1,000 will be distributed to women and another Rs 200 to ASHA for low-performing states
- An amount of Rs 700 will be distributed to women and another Rs 200 to ASHA for high-performing states
- An amount of Rs 1,400 will be distributed to women and another Rs 600 to ASHA for low-performing states
Important information related to Janani Suraksha Yojana
The scheme was first launched on April 12, 2005
- Janani Suraksha Yojana is operated by all states of the government and also the union territories of the country.
- The scheme is run by the central government
- Some of the states targetted under this scheme include Jammu Kashmir, Odisha, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttaranchal, and Uttar Pradesh
- For a beneficiary, he has to carry his JSY card and MCH card to take part under this scheme
- The entire list of beneficiaries will be displayed on the display board of sub center, District Hospital, CHC, PHC on the date of distribution
- Up to 4% fund is to be availed for administrative expenses
- Two willing private institutions will be recognized in each block to deliver better services at all times
- If any of the husband or wife gets the sanitization done after the child birth, compensation will be given
- An amount of Rs 5,000 will be given in home delivery cases. The above amount will be given only after 2 deliveries
- The above amount will therefore be disbursed directly by the government at the time of delivery or within 7 days
- For cases of cesarean, a minimum maternity amount will be provided. In addition to the above, an amount of Rs 1500 will also be given
- Similarly, an amount of Rs 600 will be provided to ASHA living with pregnant women. An amount of Rs 200 will be given along with transport expenses of Rs 250
Features of Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
- Although, JSY has already been implemented in all states, there are concerns regarding low-performing states
- Each registered beneficiary who will get benefit under this scheme must hold Janani Suraksha Yojana card and MCH card
- Please note that JSY 2023 is solely sponsored by the central government
- The above scheme was earlier identified as ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist)
- All those pregnant women who get their babies delivered at home with the help of ASHA or Anganwadi doctors are bound to receive an amount of Rs 500
- After a child is delivered, information is circulated to the mother-child for vaccination up to 5 years
- Pregnant women who successfully register at Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023 will be given a free assistance in the form of two ante-natal check-ups
- In addition to the above, both Anganwadi and ASHA doctors will also assist in their post-delivery periods
Monitoring of Janani Suraksha Yojana
- To monitor the scheme, a monthly meeting will be held
- The meeting will be held on the 3rd Friday of each month
- If Friday happens to be a holiday, the meeting will be held on the next day
Role of Asha & health workers under Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
- Registration and identification of beneficiaries
- Helping women to get their documentation ready
- To help beneficiaries in their last 3 AMC checkups
- To identify Accredited and govt. health center
- To encourage all beneficiaries in completing their institution deliveries
- To arrange free vaccination of new born babies up to 14 weeks
- To give information regarding the birth and death of the child to ANM or MO
- To regularly check the health of the mother
- Family planning
Eligibility of Janani Suraksha Yojana
High performing state
- The first criteria is that women must be living below poverty line
- The age of women needs to be greater than 19 years
- All backward category women are included in this scheme
Low performing state
- All such women are included whose delivery is done either through accredited private institutions or government health centers
- All backward category women are included in this scheme
Documents of Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
- Passport size photograph
- Mobile number
- Passbook or bank account
- Delivery Certificate
- Janani Suraksha Card (JSC)
- Address proof
- BPL ration card
- Aadhaar card
How to apply in Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023?
The process of applying for the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) may vary slightly from state to state. However, in general, the following steps can be followed to apply for JSY:
Register for antenatal care: Pregnant women who are eligible for JSY should register for antenatal care at a government health institution or an accredited private health institution. At the time of registration, they should inform the health worker that they want to apply for JSY.
You need to visit the official website of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India and then try to download Janani Suraksha Yojana Application Form PDF.
Fill out the JSY application form: The health worker will provide the JSY application form to the pregnant woman, which needs to be filled out with all the necessary details such as personal information, pregnancy details, and bank account details.
Submit the application form: The completed JSY application form should be submitted to the health worker or the concerned authority at the health institution where the woman is receiving antenatal care.
Receive cash assistance: Once the application is approved, the cash assistance will be directly transferred to the bank account of the pregnant woman.
It is important to note that JSY is applicable only to pregnant women who are below the poverty line and deliver in a government health institution or an accredited private health institution.
The amount of cash assistance may vary from state to state, and it is advisable to check the official website of the National Health Mission or the concerned state health department for the latest information on JSY.
Janani Suraksha Yojana Application Status Viewing Process
- First, you need to visit the official website of Janani Suraksha Yojana
- Once you reach the home page, please click on the link to view application status
- Enter your reference number on the next page that opens
- Next, click on the search button
- It will show your application status on the screen
How to find States/Union Territories official contact numbers
- First, visit the official website of Janani Suraksha Yojana
- Click ‘Contact Us’ option on the home page
- Next, click on the States/UT official
- You will have an entire list of contact numbers
- Karnataka CM 1 lakh Housing Scheme 2023 Online Application Form
- PICME Login & Registration, Status Check @ picme.tn.gov.in
- mParivahan App Download, DL/RC Status, Registration & How to Use